Sunday, October 25, 2009

If the Shoe Fits

I was shopping for a new outfit to wear to the airport to pick up my husband from his 18 month deployment to Iraq. I needed the perfect outfit and it was not going to be an easy task. I took along my favorite shopping companion Nick for mission, “Make me look HOT because I have not seen my husband in 7 months”, perfect outfit extravaganza.

We spent all day shopping from store to store… Nordstrom then Banana Republic on to Anne Taylor followed by Black House White Market and every store in between. The economy was great and my budget was unlimited. Could I really put a price on my looks for such an occasion? Obviously not! We purchased everything from earrings to jeans, hair accessories to shoes.

I was in the dressing room of one of the stores with one of everything available in my size. I’m trying on clothes and watching the piles of Have To Have, Maybe So and Absolutely Not’s grow taller than me. Clothes are flying in every direction as I plow through the clothes folded and hanging.

Before I know it Nick is knocking on the dressing room door. I NEED you now, he says.

Just two more minutes and I’ll be dressed and I can come out, I reply.

HURRY! You HAVE to see this he says.

I finally open the door and he is standing there with his mouth wide open and his eyes as big as the moon, he is holding up a high heeled shoe.

I look at him with question in my eye wondering why it was so urgent for me to hurry. Is he in love with the shoe and wants me to try it on? Does he think it’s the most hideous thing he’s ever seen? It’s hard to read his face on this one.
“I pity the woman who wears a shoe this size!” he gasps.

I smile and take the shoe… I look at the size… and notice the same size I wear! That is right… this CLOWN sized shoe in Nicks mind is simply a dainty size 10 in my world. Its hard to find a cute shoe in a size 10.. I know because I’ve been looking for years!!!

Without telling Nick this information I take the shoe and proceed to put it on my foot.

Nick’s jaw literally hits the floor. He is completely and utterly speechless, which for him is a rare occasion.

We both started laughing so hard we began to cry.

If the shoe fits, wear it!

1 comment:

Whitney, Greg and Kaya said...

hahahaha!!!!! I love this story! Nick is a great shopping companion until he makes you feel like you have huge feet! haha teasing! I love you nick! xoxo